Thursday, May 22, 2008

Gratitude...with a capital G

My 5yr old daughter had a dental appointment yesterday in a city 1 1/2 hrs from here. Since driving on the highway petrifies me, I took along my crocheting to keep me occupied while hubby drove.

I already had a couple of my Molar Coasters made to take to the Dentist as a thank you gift and took along more yarn and a hook and made some more on the way. As my daughter is only 5, they were to give her a sedative, then an hour later they'd proceed with the fillings which were also to take an hour. Needless to say, I got a few more done :0)

You know when you have a great idea, then you start second guessing yourself? Well, after making 8 or 9 of these, I started to wonder how they would be received. Do people even use coasters any more? Or would they think I was off my rocker? Well, I finally decided to bite the bullet and gave one to the receptionist we had been dealing with. She was totally amazed and LOVED it! She went around showing every one in the office! I then gave her 2 more for the other 2 girls in the office. She was going to go straight in and show the dentist, so I told her, "Here is one for the dentist as well". She said it would be nice if my daughter gave it to her herself, so we decided to wait.

A short time later we went in to see how she was doing and how much longer it would be. She was finished...and FAST ASLEEP!! When we woke her up, I handed her the Molar Coaster and told her to give it to the dentist. She was very surprised and asked if I made it. I replied that yes, I did and I designed it as well and that I was a crochet designer. Well, she gave me a huge hug and said thank you! Now I was the one to be surprised! When I explained to her that it was a "Molar" Coaster, she laughed. She said she didn't want to put her cup on it because she didn't want it to get dirty so she was putting it on her desk. When we gave the hygienist one as well, I got another big hug.
Now THAT'S what I call gratitude:0) It makes up for all the gifts that get thrown in the closet with out a second glance.

I was really glad I decided to give them out after all. Everyone got a chuckle when I told them it was a "Molar" coaster! :0)

No comments: