Thursday, September 25, 2008

As you can see, Houdini the kitten is growing up fast!

He has no problems holding his own against the Mighty Knight! :0)


Knight is growing fast as well. He is now just over 9mths. Being part Lab and part Border Collie, he is instilled with a playfulness and energy hard to keep up with!

On the weekend, we decided to take him to the Canal where there is a walking trail. Being in far enough and there being no where to really go, we let him have his freedom and let him off leash
. He had an absolute blast!! The water dog that used to be nervous of water now LOVES it! If there is a creek or shore to go in, he's in-like-flint! As you can see, he loved the outing! :0)




Being high energy, we have been trying to come up with ways to tire him out. It's not an easy task, let me tell you! When he gets bored and antsy, he gets hyper, barks and scratches the carpet! Not good. I decided to read a book by Cesar Millan, "The Power of The Pack". If you have a dog with "issues" :0) and have never read his book, you should. I highly recommend it! Here is a man that can walk 40-50 dogs AT A TIME, and have NO fights! He is absolutely brilliant! Anyway, to keep this crochet related, he recommends dog back pack for high energy dogs to help drain some energy. Put 10-20 % of their body weight in it, and it gives them something to do, as well as helps tire them out. I've searched high and lo in our area to no avail. Solution? Crochet one!! I am now embarking on a journey to crochet a doggy backpack.

I just happen to have a large 400g ball of Bernat Naturals in a beige color. I think I will start with a band to go around his chest and one to go around his waist, that will button up. I think mesh between the 2 would be good for ventilation (he pants a LOT).and another band around the neck should finish that part of it. If I make 2 mesh water bottle holders, and maybe a mesh bag and attach them, it will give him a job to do carrying it all for me :0) I will post pictures as I go along.

For an extra energy drain, he recommends a tread mill. I'll have to get one of those for our long, cold, snow filled Ontario winters! Hmmmm...I wonder if I could just crochet it! Lol!

No comments: