Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My favorite new-to-me yarn

Lately, I've been seeing a lot more environmentally friendly, sustainable, Fair Trade yarns on the market. Some of them had such rich, gorgeous colors that I decided I just had to buy one and experiment. My first try was a skein of Manos del Uruguay yarn that I found in my LYS. It has approx 150 yds to a 50 g skein. The colors were deep, rich jewel tones of turquoise, green, gold, brown and deep plum. It is a 70% merino extrafine wool and 30% silk blend.


I decided to make a dressy scarf for myself to dress up my wardrobe. I chose a lacy fan stitch to keep it simple and let the rich colors speak for themselves. It is so soft and luxurious that I hate to take it off! I will definitely buy more of the Manos del Uruguay yarn in future.

I enjoyed that one so much, that I decided to buy the last skein of it's sister; a skein of 100% wool in the same gorgeous colors. The colors in this skein are even deeper than the silk blend. I'm not sure what I'm going to make with this one. It's only one skein so it has to be fairly small. To felt...or not to felt...that is the question:) It's so beautiful that I hate to felt such a lovely yarn, but a small felted purse would be nice too...hmmmm...

No comments: