Friday, September 12, 2008

free form bits and bobs

I've been interested in free form crochet for awhile now. My Tranquil Ocean afghan was the first major attempt at it, but I did a few scrumbles before that. Here are a few of my favorite ones:


The pink one in the top right hand corner was my attempt at a free form sea shell. The top left hand corner one in green kind of looks like a pea pod, doesn't it? The tiny round green one was the very first free form thing I did. It was a "dome" and I got the instructions from Bonnie Pierce's website http://members.aol.com/gandal195/elegantcrochet.html . She has tutorials on free form scrumbles. It was seeing some of her gorgeous free form pieces on her website that first got me interested in free form. Her stuff is amazing!

I was browsing on chapters.ca looking at crochet books the other day and decided to make out my "wish list" which is a feature on their website. There are some truly wonderful looking crochet books out there, either out or being released in the next few months. Unfortunately 2 or 3 of the books I wanted to mark were "unavailable to buy new" at this time! Arrrrgh!! One was Jean Leinhauser's new book, due out Jan 2009 "Crochet Master Class". I can't wait to get that one!

Another one was "Free Form Crochet and Beyond" by Renate Kirkpatrick. It's new out as well. Looking at the cover, it looks like a Must Have book for me! The cover shows what looks like rocks and hills with a river running through it all done in free form crochet! Absolutely breathtaking! I am especially intrigued with free form done to resemble scenes of Nature, so this looks like a book for me.

There are a few other books I have to add to my resource library as well. Bendy Carter's book "Single Crochet A-Z" is a must have from all the reviews I've read. (I just can't imagine being able to do single crochet 26 different ways!) I also must get my hot little hands on a copy of "Beyond-the-Square Crochet Motifs- 150 Circles, Triangles, Hexagons and Other Unexpected shapes" by Edie Eckman. I hear it's a treasure trove of ideas! My list is a lot longer, but I don't want this to end up being a novel for you to read :0) Lol!


No comments: